1. The Purpose (Mission)
- Have single place to document and archive project related info
- Share this info with community of fellow enthusiasts, in case any of this may be useful to somebody
- Try it, since I've never done anything like this before!
- This site is running on Joomla!
3. Progress Report
Since I'm a complete newbie at modern web technologies, I had no idea how to even approach all this. So, I started with Google Sites. They have a decent, easy to use online tool for creating web pages.
Two things I didn't like, though:
1. every link on my page they replaced with some sort of redirect to google, before switching user to the target site. I guess this way they track links and click history, somehow.
2. the address of my web site would have to be something like: sites_google_com/boredomprojects. That didn't appeal to me much (vanity?), so instead I purchased my own domain name and web space package from 1and1.
I also tried web building tool from 1and1 and found it to be too limited.
After some research, I discovered Joomla! I had no idea what that actually was, but decided to try it anyways, seeing just how popular this tool was. I was lucky, it had everything I was looking for. Another lucky coincidence was that my host 1and1 supported Joomla and its required components, like MySQL.
In a few clicks, I had Joomla installed in my web space, without knowing anything at all about PHP, CSS, SQL, HTML, etc. After that, it was a matter of experimentation with settings and finally, voila! we have this site!
3.1. Setting up SEO parameters
For the Sitemap I decided to use XML version, generated using this online tool: www.xml-sitemaps.com. Eventually, when I learn how to use Xmap Joomla extension, I may switch to it instead.
By the way, I would be happy to receive comments, suggestions, improvement ideas. Thanks!
UPDATE Nov.2015 - Unfortunately, thanks to spammers, I had to disable commenting for unregistered people in all articles.